Software is a set of commands, data or programs used to operate computers and run specific tasks. Some examples include note pad, spreadsheets, web browsers and gmail.
Today’s businesses are using more and more softwares to complete their daily tasks easily. There are many different types of softwares, including System softwares, Application softwares and middleware softwares. These different types are designed to solve different problems for businesses, such as running databases or compiling code.
Software can be installed on to a computer through a variety of ways, such as CD-ROM, USB drive, or the internet. Softwares itself can be stored on a physical disc or downloaded electronically. The most common way that people download it is by using a web browser. This allows a user to browse the web for files to download and install on the computer.
What Is Software?
Software is a program that runs on a computer. There are different kind of softwares that help do many different things. Some softwares is just for entertainment, like video games and music players; others help a computer operate, like an operating system.
How does it work?
All softwares gives the instructions and information computers need to work and meet users’ needs. However, the 2 specific types are application softwares and system softwares which works in relatively specific ways
Types Of Softwares :
Among the various categories of softwares, the most common types include the following:
- Application softwares.An application software is a program that is designed and developed for specific purposes and for a special task that is directly used by the users. Softwares that meets this definition is known as an application softwares, or simply as an app for short. The category of applications can be further divided in to different categories depending on the nature of the application like graphics applications, database applications, office suites, etc. Some of the examples of application softwares are: Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, etc.Examples Of Application Softwares : Microsoft Office, VLC media player, Google Chrome, Photo Editor, Mobile Apps such as video games, Whatsapp, etc.
- System softwares.System software is a type of computer program that is designed to run a computer’s hardware and provides a platform for applications to run on top of. System softwares includes operating systems, which are the most common type of system softwares. Operating systems are typically an abstraction layer, meaning that they provide an interface between the hardware and the user.Examples Of System Softwares : Windows Operating System, Mac Operating System, Android, IOS, Playstation System Softwares, etc.
- Driver softwares.Driver software is a type of softwares that has been designed to allow a computer to control various devices that are connected to it. It is used for both input and output devices. Driver softwares can be categorized by the type of device it controls, such as a printer driver, scanner driver, joystick driver, mouse driver, keyboard driver or video card driver.Examples Of Driver Softwares : Printers drivers, Mouse drivers, Keyboard drivers, CD/DVD drives, Graphic Cards drivers, Ports drivers, etc.
- Middle ware. Middle ware is a software that acts as an intermediary between different systems. It enables these systems to communicate with each other and exchange data. Middleware can be used to connect multiple databases, process messages, and manage transactions.
Middle ware can also be used for other purposes such as providing an interface for web applications or enabling two different computer programs to exchange information.Examples Of System Software : Database Middle ware, Application Server Middle ware, Message-Oriented Middle ware, Web Middleware, Transaction Processing Monitors, etc.
- Programming software. Programming software, or software development tools, are used to create the code that is programmed into a computer. There are many different types of programming languages and software tools that can be used to create these codes.
There are many different types of programming languages and software tools that can be used to create these codes. The most popular programming language is C++, which is a general-purpose programming language. It is often used for building operating systems, drivers, and other low-level programs that require high performance or interact with hardware.Examples Of System Softwares : Android Studio, Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio IDE, Notepad++, Sublime Text, Atom, etc
Among all the types these are main categories of software’s are Application software and System software.
APPLICATION SOFTWARE :
An application is software that fulfills a specific need or performs tasks.
System software is designed to run a computer’s hardware and provides a platform for applications to run on top of.